Lithics invites contributions from anyone engaged in the study of past societies through stone tools. We publish research articles (2000–4000 words in length) which have been reviewed by two independent researchers experienced in the period in question. We employ a rigorous blind review process whereby your work will be read without knowledge of the writer’s name, personal information, qualifications or past submissions. We also publish shorter communications (up to 1000 words). These can be short reports on particular artefacts, reviews (books, site visits, conferences, exhibitions), obituaries and other related lithic activities. Where applicable, these may be peer reviewed.
If you wish to submit an article to Lithics, please contact the Editor to discuss your proposed submission and any particular requirements you may have. All submissions must be made electronically via e–mail.
Rolling submissions: As of 2016, authors may submit their work throughout the year without regard to deadlines. Articles will be sent for review as soon as they are received and works will be published online with accompanying doi as soon as the final proof is accepted. Articles will subsequently appear in the hard copy version of Lithics.
All contributions must be submitted following the Lithics housestyle, which is detailed in the style sheet (available here). Please include a completed electronic copy of our Cover Sheet (Form LS1) along with your submission. This form will enable you and us to track the progress of your submission, provide feedback of reviewers’ comments, and generally maintain contact during the editorial process. You can also download a correctly formatted sample paper (available here) and a Microsoft Word (.dot) template (available here).
All potential authors should note that any submissions which do not follow the style sheet guidelines will be returned for re-formatting.
The review and publication process works as follows.
- Initial e-mail submission of manuscript to the Editor, accompanied by Form LS1.
- Manuscript reviewed by two anonymous referees and decision (accept/reject) returned to the author/lead author (for multi-author papers). If manuscript is accepted, author/lead author informed of the Editorial Board member who will be involved with the remainder of the editing and submission process.
- Re-submission of modified manuscript (unless rejected, or accepted without need for editing).
- Second review of manuscript and comments returned to author/lead author from member of Editorial Board.
- Final submission of manuscript and hard copies (printouts) of any images. Approval by Editorial Board and return of proofs to author/lead author.
- Publication of manuscript in Lithics.
If you have any queries regarding the submission process (and, in particular, regarding the submission of digital images) please contact Dr Frederick Foulds. All submissions should be sent in Microsoft .doc files and images in standard format files (i.e. jpg, tiff).
- to be in digital format;
- to follow the style sheet guidelines; and
- to be accompanied by form LS1.
The names and email addresses entered in this journal site will be used exclusively for the stated purposes of this journal and will not be made available for any other purpose or to any other party.